Thursday, September 27, 2007

Post-Portugal Email Update

Okay okay, so the mass update is long overdue, but can I just say that we are finally getting into a routine out here? Just a brief insight into life in Portugal and aboard the ship, then you may enjoy the pictures and respond at your leisure :)

Our days begin at around noon and go late into the evening with programming and advising, which works well for those of us who like to start the day off with a little sunshine on deck :) Lisboa, Portugal was our first port and proved to be an interesting experience. For five days myself, another staff member, and nine students were immersed in the art world of Portugal - lectures on maritime expansion and the European avant-garde, art and religious relic museums, tours of architectural insight, and boxed lunches in the gardens of Lisboa. Although I feel that I didn't have an opportunity to truly resonate with the soul of Lisbon or the Portuguese, I did enjoy some incredible food, pleasurable music, and even a road trip out to a couple small towns, including the western most point of the Europe. The students are an inspiring group, coming together from over 35 countries; I have students from China, Columbia, Estonia, Mexico, England, the Czech Republic, Germany, Italy, Brazil, and the US in my Residential Community alone! Currently we are on a 12 day sail across the Atlantic, the seas are treating us well so far and we have just got our student groups up and functioning. The days ahead include so much - a Hunger Banquet (to simulate global classes and poverty), an open mic night, interfaith dialogues, a student-led Bible Study, language and dance classes (last night was Belly Dancing, I totally got in touch with my roots, but I'll spare you the picture!), and so much more that the schedule is overwhelming!

Please keep in touch and keep us in your prayers, they've blessed us with some free internet for a bit, so I'll hopefully be able to respond to emails for the next couple days!

No comments: