Sunday, March 30, 2008

Beware: Nonsensical Blog Entry Below

Considering we are currently in the Lenten period in the Coptic Orthodox Church, a time of spiritual depth, revelation, and revival, I am sure many are expecting a pontificating blog entry of great profundity. Although it is my sincerest of intentions to try to put into words the experiences and encounters of the last two months of my life, I am limited to the food world for a brief moment (please note, focusing on food is quite possibly the antithesis of the intention of Lent).

As many of you know, there are an array dips and spreads that I prefer, by brand, to have readily available for my consumption. I have been known to email, call, and some may call it harass, but I prefer “persistently pursue,” several establishments in order to procure my dip or spread of choice. One such encounter with Ken’s Foods ended with a purchase of a one gallon jar of Honey Mustard from the nearest Ruby Tuesday’s. Most recently Peter Pan Peanut Butter and I had a near tragic miss as they only restocked the shelves days prior to my departure from the US.

With these particular food fancies, one might suspect that life in Zambia might prove to be unpalatable (pun fully endorsed and intended :) ), especially as last week marked the end of my Peter Pan Peanut Butter supply, and might I note we still have 28 days left in Lent (where we hold to a vegan diet). However, I am pleased to officially announce that I am forever indebted to the import of South African products to our local Shoprite grocery store. For the first time since my arrival in Zambia, Mediterranean Delicacies’ ate-the-tub-in-one-sitting Hummus graced the end of aisle five. Steers’ put-it-on-all-tasteless-food Garlic Sauce was found during a mad pursuit for Ranch dressing (which I refuse to believe does not exist outside of the US because we’re the only one’s with actual “ranches”). And of course, Yum-Yum peanut butter – it’s no Peter Pan, but when spread on an apple, banana, or other applicable item, it will definitely do.

Besides good natured chiding that I store my peanut butter in my closet and carry it around as if it were a highly coveted trophy, most of the Egyptians who reside in the guesthouse with me are generally encouraging of my dips and spreads pursuit. While I was sitting and eating the tub of hummus with a spoon, I could feel my tummy rumbling (apparently one is not supposed to consume in one sitting, who knew?!). I mentioned to one of the guys who lives in the house that the mass hummus consumption is going to make me want to “ruddah,” which incidentally means “breastfeed” and not the intended word “raggah” which means throw up. Oops. Got to love the Arabic bloopers. :)

Thus ends my absolutely nonsensical blog entry. Please stay tuned for more spiritually relevant updates :)

No comments: