
The #1 question since even before I arrived in
Zambia has been, “So what exactly do you
do all day?” Well, with the exception of a brief stint in Congo where we cooked on charcoal, got water from the well, and scrubbed the house down (yes, this consumed the entire day), my day proceeds as such:
06:00-07:30 Generally known as “Quiet Time,” this is when Biggie and I hang out; usually involves a short passage from the Bible, a journal, a pen (preferably black ink if you're me), and, if I listen, a solid message for the day…
07:45-08:30 The Orphans for Zambia (OZ) Project school teachers and I get together in the chapel, pray using the Prayer Book of Hours (Agbeya), and share our messages from Quiet Time
08:30-13:00 This time is filled with projects and other tasks such as planning for upcoming retreats, creating an anti-drinking campaign, grant writing, reading the Bible in 90 days, and, on Wednesdays, visiting those in the inpatient ward of the hospital
13:00-14:00 Very special time of day when I venture out of my room to see what the kitchen has concocted for lunch. Thankfully we have come to an understanding that pasta, French fries (known here as chips), and bread does not constitute a balanced meal – me and the bean world are now bonding almost daily, oh how I love the magical fruit ;)
14:00-17:00 Most days we do visitations for the folk in various surrounding neighborhoods. This consists of seeing how our members our doing and praying and sharing some messages from Biggie with them, as well as praying, sharing, and chatting with anyone new we meet along the way. On Tuesdays I also volunteer within the Hope Centre for Infectious Diseases to do HIV/AIDS counseling.
17:00-18:00 Quick recovery before evening meetings begin
18:00-21:00 This time block contains an array of meetings such as servants, youth, and prayer, as well as, Bible study and small group (also known as “The Crazy Ladies”).
21:00-22:00 Hang out with the folks around the compound/guesthouse where I live, smash a few mosquitoes, muse over my inability to form a grammatically correct sentence in Arabic, or perhaps try to catch the rat that seems to be making himself at home in our bedrooms :)
22:00 Dude, the day started at 06:00, it’s so bedtime.
So now the real question is, when are YOU moving to Zambia to join in the fun?!
No comments:
Post a Comment